Electric Flight – Introduction
Discover why electric is now the power of choice for thousands of pilots of all abilities. This DVD is perfect for beginners, as Editor of Quiet & Electric Flight International Mike Nott guides you through getting started as an electric powered flyer. Focusing on almost-ready-to-fly and ready-to-fly planes, learn about the basic materials these models are made of, the essential functions of each part and the latest developments in motor technology, not forgetting the necessary information about batteries, speed controllers and radio gear, as well as the all-important servo. After this introduction to the models, join Mike at the flying field. Here you’ll see electric flight in action and discover how even fairly simple ready-to-fly models can produce top quality performance and manoeuvrability. Running time: approx 45 mins Look out for the next two parts of the Electric Flight DVD series: Electric Flight – Advanced Techniques (Ref: DV121) Showcasing the models that can be successfully flown using electric power. Electric Flight – Masterclass (Ref: DV122) Bringing you to the ultimate in electric powered R/C flight.
Electric Flight – Advanced Techniques
Discover your next step in electric powered flight. This DVD is ideal for R/C pilots with some modelling and flying experience, whether with basic ready to fly or I/C models. Learn more about the huge variety of RC planes you can fly, from scale Warbirds to competition 3D aerobatics, and the increased levels of technical sophistication that are available. Join Editor of Quiet & Electric Flight International Mike Nott, as he spends time on the flight line talking to pilots about high-end ARTF models, focusing on fast and manoeuvrable electric ducted fan models, as well as multi-engine planes and sophisticated apparatus such as retractable undercarriages. Full of technical information and exciting footage of the planes in action, see several beautiful planes that demonstrate the potential offered by electric power for model aircraft.
Highlights of this DVD include:
• an EDF foam A-4 Skyhawk
• a range of EDF jet models of the F-16, A-10 and F-4
• a superb model of a 617 Squadron Avro Lancaster
• a beautiful de Havilland DH-86B pre-war airliner
• tips on finding the perfect motor/propeller/battery combination for your model
• a high performance Sukhoi SU-34 that features retracts and thrust vectoring.
Running time: approx 45 mins.
Electric Flight – Masterclass
Join a number of modellers on the flight line to look at scratch built scale model planes. Learn about the art of converting designs intended for I/C engines, incorporating scale features and other exciting modifications, such as pioneering sound systems that make models sound fantastically authentic. These models are bigger, more complex and sophisticated than ARTF and show the true scope of electric powered planes. In this masterclass, you’ll meet a number of modellers, all of them passionate about the true potential of electric powered flight:
• John Ranson has perfected the art of converting designs intended for I/C engines to perform spectacularly well using electric power. As well as incorporating all the scale features you could wish for, he has pioneered the use of electronic sound systems in model aircraft to make his models sound fantastically authentic.
• Terry Mitchell has developed unique and innovative techniques to produce his show-stopping fleet of V-Bombers, the Vulcan, Valiant and Victor. Made from simple, inexpensive materials, these big and impressive models dominate the skies in just the way their full-sized counterparts did.
• Cyril Carr’s models include an impressive Bede BD-5, an A-4 Skyhawk and a BAe ‘Red Arrows’ Hawk, but the star of his show is the amazing Space Shuttle.
• Tim Hooper shows two of his favourite models – a stylish Waco, and a model of one of the Bristol Freighters he once watched from the control tower where his father worked in the 1960’s.
• Chris Golds needs no introduction, and his skill is amply demonstrated with models of two British jets than never made it beyond prototype stage – the Shorts Sperrin, a ‘reserve’ nuclear bomber in case the Valiant failed, and the beautiful TSR2, sad victim of defence cuts in the 1960’s. Both of these models are available as Traplet plans.
• Bob Partington uses his stunning Sukhoi SU-35 to describe in great detail the problems to be addressed when designing and building high performance EDF models, and his techniques for solving them.
See for yourself what a little work and imagination can create – this DVD shows you that, with electric powered models, the sky is quite literally the limit. Running time: approx 45 mins.
Intro DV120 / Advanced DV121 / Master Class DV122