After the great success of Ton Van Munsteren’s Red Eagle (published in RCM&E a while back) https://www.sarikhobbies.com/product/rc2134-red-eagle-plan/, he was looking for a glider that would go up on a bungee and have good thermal-hunting performance. With the rising popularity of simple, lightweight RES (Rudder, Elevator & Spoiler) gliders, and bolstered by a discussion on a Dutch forum about starting a competition with them, such a design was an attractive proposition.
A RES model would be perfect to enjoy the lift often found on those long, wispy-breeze summer evenings. There’s certainly nothing complicated with the build – all balsa with carbon tube wing spars – it won’t take long to put together.
- Name: RES-Eagle
- Model type Thermal soarer
- Designed by: Ton van Munsteren
- Wingspan 2000mm (78”)
- Fuselage length: 1257mm (49”)
- Wing area 0.41sq. m
- All-up weight: 19oz (530g)
- Wing loading: 1.29kg / sq. m
- Functions (servos): Elevator (1); rudder (1); spoiler (1)
- Control deflections: Elevator ±0.6” (15mm); rudder ±1” (25mm)