The Mk.VIII Spitfire was introduced in 1942 in response to the threat from the Luftwaffe’s Fw190s. Powered by the more powerful Rolls Royce Merlin 60 engine it was an extremely effective fighter, and from then on Spitfires were always equal or superior to any other piston-engined fighter.
Graham Birt has kindly sent information about how he has gone about converting this classic to electric. Please note this is for information only and based on Grahams’ individual requirements and opinion.
* Motor – E-flite Power 160 Outrunner
* ESC – AeroStar 120Amp Turnigy
* Lipo’s – 10s – 70C (Min), 5000mAh (1 x 4s and 2 x 3s in series).
* Emcotec electronic LiPo illuminator switch. (Nexus)
* All servos Futaba S3072HV and S3071HV.
* E-flite electric retracts, made for Hanger 9 Spit, fit with a bit of ‘fettling’.
* Spectrum DX9 and AR8010T Rx.
Also pictures below also supplied by Graham
Flown at Aston Down, Gloucestershire. Club site of Cotswold Radio Control Society.
Plan MW3337 Spinner CS3337SET FG Card intake CF3337RAD Cowl CF3337CL Canopy CA3337CY Laser Cut Wood Pack WP3337 Additional Wood Pack AWP337 Short Kit SET3337